Here you can find the user guidelines for this website. Please be aware that this website
is currently under development. We want to provide you with detailed archival descriptions
about our footage as soon as possible and enable you to view the works for your research
and order footage and/or stills. We will shortly add more detailed information about available
footage, make more footage available online and make our website more user friendly.
This website provides you with the option to view and research the detailed information of more than 2,300 film works from the period 1945-1998 with a runtime of more than 500 hours. 100 hours of these are already available in HD.
- Official footage
- War newsreels
- War bond propaganda films
The web portal also presents films from the Weimar Republic era (1919-1933). These works focus on:
- Weekly newsreels (e.g. Messter-Woche, UFA-Wochenschau, Deulig-Woche and Emelka-Woche)
- Official productions (commissions)
In addition our website offers access to Federal German newsreels and works that had been commissioned by the Federal Press Office between 1945-1998. Among them are:
- Newsreels (Welt im Bild, Welt im Film, Neue Deutsche Wochenschau, Die Zeit unter der Lupe, UFA-Wochenschau, El Mundo)
- Deutschlandspiegel and other Federal Press Office magazines and documentaries
The description of our collection provides you with an overview of the footage that is available on this website. Anyone can research and view the streaming files, without having to register first. Transit Film is the contact for clients from the film and television industries, the press, PR and entertainment. The German Federal Archives are in charge of non-profit scientific, private and official uses as well as historical-political educational work. If you have questions or would like to place an order please use the appropriate contact form to get in touch with either Transit Film or the German Federal Archives.Homepage
On our homepage you will find a selected film and the category “current affairs in retrospect”. In this category we have editorially paired historical events in current topic suggestions with matching film works from the German Federal Archives collection.Search
In addition to the prompt search access on our homepage we offer several search options, which you may use separately or combined for your research:
- A “simple search” as full text search of all detailed information of a film work
- An “advanced search” option as a specific search in selected fields of the detailed information
- A filter that allows you to search by individuals, entities, locations and subject matters
- A catalogue of film works for an alphabetic search.
Begin your search with a full text search. To get more specific results go directly to “advanced search” and limit the period in which you want to search.
You can also combine all search options. The more keywords are entered into the advanced search the more specific your search results will be. Use simple and descriptive keywords. For example: Kennedy or Berlin. With „+“ and „-“ you can add or exclude any number of keywords:To add: +1963 +city hall…
To exclude: -assassination…
When you go to the details of a film it is possible to jump to specific scenes or to the beginning of a specific story (play scene /play story) by clicking on the pertinent keyframe.
Specify a film clip
With the help of our editing software you have the option to specify clips or stills by using frame accuracy. Simply choose the “scissors” in the select field.
- In order to specify a film clip you can set an “IN” and “OUT” point over the “filmstrip”. Your excerpt will be placed in the film clip list on the right.
- With the “camera” you can place the current frame as a still in the film clip list on the right.
In order to access your film clips and/or still at a later time please put your selection into the favourites.Favourites
You can store the selections you made, whether they are film works, film clips and/or stills. Please create a bookmark for later session independent access to your favourites. Please be aware that the content of your favourites may not be changed once its bookmarked.Shopping Cart
Add film works, film clips and/or stills to your shopping cart before placing an order. Please create a bookmark for later session independent access to your shopping cart. Please be aware that the content of your shopping cart may not be changed once its bookmarked.Registration
Registration is under construction and will be available at a later stage of our website expansion. Please contact us by using the contact form.Order
You can send a request for an order to Transit Film or the German Federal Archives by going into your shopping cart and filling out the contact form. Once we have processed your request we will contact you and work out the details of your order.
- Clients of Transit Film will receive an order confirmation, which they must sign and return (via email, fax or mail). We will then forward the order to our technical service partner ARRI Film & TV. The invoice you will receive will include the licensing fee, technical costs and shipping costs, if any. For additional information please read Transit Film General Terms and Conditions.
- German Federal Archives user are asked to fill in and sign a usage request form
and send it to the German Federal Archives by mail, fax or as an email attachment.
Once the usage request has been received the German Federal Archives will be able to process the application. Subsequently it will send Transit Film an approval form to indicate that the order can be processed in whatever quantity was permitted. The user will receive a confirmation email at the provided email address.
ARRI Film & TV will deliver all orders. We reserve the right to decline individual orders.Cost Calculator
Our prices and fees for the use of the film material from this website is calculated as follows:
- Film and television, press, PR and entertainment projects incur licensing fees,
technical fees (copy service) and shipping costs, if any. Find more information about
the ordering process right here.
Link rate sheet licenses Transit Film (PDF)
Link rate sheet copy service (PDF)
- Non-profit scientific, private and official uses as well as historical-political
educational work only incur technical costs (copy service) and shipping costs, if any.
Link rate sheet copy service (PDF)
Until our online payment system is set up you will receive an invoice from Transit Film, providing that your order was approved. In individual cases the German Federal Archives may incur costs as well, which would generate a separate invoice.Delivery
Footage ordered through our website will be provided and delivered by ARRI Film & TV. The ordered film clips, films or stills will be transcoded into the desired format and are available via a link provided by ARRI Webgate. You will receive an email with the login information. The server will automatically delete your order within 48 hours. Longer server provisioning time must be arranged on a per case basis. For your download we recommend the use of FileZilla Client. For a free download click here:
- Physical data storage media: whenever physical data storage media is ordered ARRI Film & TV will take care of production and shipping.
You will receive a message once the material is available for you (download and physical data storage media).Film Collections
The Film Collections provides an overview of the footage that is available on this website.Use
We are happy about your online visit and your interest in our website. If you would like to find out more about the involved partners and their competences you can find additional information right here.