01 Berlin today debris in Berlin. Facade of the Sports Palace and Interior. Destroyed environment of the Brandenburg Gate. Ruined house fronts. Clean-up work. Queue in front of the building of the military Government. Newspaper-reading man. Newspaper people. Road with buses and horse-drawn carriage. People go railway entrance into the U.
(42 m) 2 Reims: curious regatta fashioned canister as Paddle boats for children. Children paddling in the water and sit on the shore. A race is started. Children run on the Bank. The winner alone in the image in the final sprint. He receives a bouquet of flowers and a kiss from a girl. American soldiers distribute drinks to children.(Coca Cola).
(37 m) 03 Okinawa: emergence of an airfield a native village. The residents will be relocated in another village. American trucks to transport sick people and furniture. A train by natives carrying loads on their shoulders. The cars drive over a bridge. Entry in the new cabins. In the courtyard, laundry is hung up. The first meal. A child drinks from a Cup. Workers for the airfield to be registered and receive dogtags. You stand in a long line, get instructions and bowing. Workers chop up the stony ground. Bags with cement, large. Funny hats against the Sun. Break from work with food from a can. Rollers smooth the airfield. A plane taking off.
(91 m) 04 Geislingen: keep a curfew men coming into a room. They stand side by side and an American officer interrogated them. An interpreter translated. Then women enter and the one explained their case. Payment of 200 DM as punishment. A receipt will be written out with the typewriter and signed.
(38 m) 5th France destroyed factory builds industry. Expert and senior staff advise in a room. Reconstruction work. The factory building of the Renault works in Paris. A furnace works. Workers at machines and truck engines. Finished trucks in a row. The Gudrich colon works, a tire factory. Look on the factory floor. A worker from a finished tyre. A tire is past rolled in exposed workers. Tyre warehouse-filling image.
(87 m) 06. London: the work of UNRRA Conference room. The Chairman Herbert Lehmann speaks. MPs in seats with the signs of their country before themselves. Oberammergau, Germany. In a concentration camp, children receive clothing and be examined by a doctor. A door with a sign of UNRRA. Education. A child counts on a large slide rule. A teacher stands on a table and informed before adults.
(48 m) 07. New Mexico: the atomic bomb the first film shot by an atomic bomb. The laboratory in Oakridge, Tennessee. The employees and workers go into her own post office, they go on the road. A newspaper is posted. The University of California. Nobel Prize winner Ernest Lawrence at the reactor. Again, the atomic bomb with mushroom. An 11 m high iron Tower, Very much narrow, burning up.
(91 m) 08 Ulm: German schools destroyed school in Ulm, Germany. In the background the Ulm Münster. Boys help the reconstruction with hoes. Stones are collected, passed in a chain and piled up. The students clean the stones. Hamburg. Little girls go for the first time in the school at the Graudenzerweg. A girl goes through a door with the sign registration here. The girls sit in the class. The headteacher Friedrich Ahrens stands behind the teacher's desk and speak, O sound. Impressions by schoolchildren, partial close-ups. Senator Landahl speaks tone to the children, O. The girls go out of school and are received by their mothers. Senator Landahl called sound to parents and teachers, O.
01 today Berlin these new newsreel footage To give another image of the extent of the destruction of Berlin and show the beginnings of reconstruction. The Sports Palace, the Forum of national socialism is a heap of rubble. In the area of the Brandenburg Gate, it looks more evil. Here, the war Berlin struck its most severe wounds. But in other areas of the city, the cleaning-up operations go ahead vigorously. Large and small, man and machine, the civilian population and the Allied military authorities are working to make Berlin habitable again. In this allied services, important new tasks are allocated to working professionals. 9 newspapers currently published in Berlin. Road transport in multiple forms livens up. Berlin's wheels rolling again.
02. curious regatta that war can bring joy this shows children's Festival in Reims in France organised by American soldiers. The inventive soldiers have transformed the attachments of aircraft with some tinkering in Paddle boats for children, and the result is a cheerful summer afternoon for both parts. Of course, there is a secondary tank regatta with a lot of hopeful participants, swinging the paddle as the large. The champion goes into the lead. He turns on greatly. Still a final spurt. He wins length with 5 containers. The prize is a kiss of his girlfriend and a shield. After large children society with everything that entails. The children of a front-line city of Reims will not soon forget this day.
03. creation of an airfield before the surrender of Japan commanded military need for the location of this small village on Okinawa to create an airfield. The village had to be cleared of civilians and laid down. In a neighbouring village, the houses for the evacuees were cleared. American trucks bring the frail, as well as heavy housekeeping items to their destination. The others go the short way on foot with their belongings. The military authorities strive to make too easy as possible the changes of residence the natives. Here they hit her new home now. Setup and adjustment is not long. What was dirty on the way, wash. The first meal in the new quarter. In the village, where a few hours ago were people, work already cranes, steam Spades and road rollers. Volunteers are hired as workers on the airfield. For their work, they are well paid and fed. You get a dog tag and be instructed. You bow down gracefully and walk to their workstations. Stone by stone the rocky ground is broken up, a hard work in tropical heat. Against the glowing rays of the Sun, use a curio collection of headwear, a more exotic than the other. Break from work and Essenfassen. A tin of chopped ham to the ration. The airfield was made operational in a short time and was an important base for Allied warplanes to the [...]iederingung Japan. Today, this field is the main base for the transport aircraft of the Allied occupying forces on their flight to and from Tokyo.
04. curfew keep imposing before. Curfews is a necessary measure of the Allied military Government for reasons of public safety. Who violates the regulations, has to answer, like these people here in Geislingen in Württemberg. An Allied officer directs the proceedings. Each accused to explain his case. An interpreter translated the prosecution and defense. These women are taken after closing time on the road. One submits their case by them. 65 people from Geislingen and environment were heard in this negotiation because circumvention of the Ausgehverbots. That became guilty exchanged 200 marks fined or sentenced to 20 days in prison.
05. France builds industry France is working hard to rebuild of its industry. Gradually new factories, new workplaces rise from the rubble of destroyed or heavily damaged factories. This is a car factory in Lyon. Advise Government officials and experts from Paris with the managers and employees about the best and fastest wag new and increased production. In many cases, already good work has been done. At the Renault factory in Paris for example 5 cars were produced in last October, the daily in March of this year already 43 daily. Each furnace and each forging hammer work with maximum pressure. Each newly produced cars represents another victory of the destruction and the chaos, because France needs A lot more cars more. Cars to textiles from Lyon to Normandy, butter from Normandy to Paris, to create coal from Alsace to the industries of Lyon. Equally important is the production of tires. You need them soon, plentiful and in good quality. America represents the raw rubber.
France the workshops and the workers. Here you can see the operation in the Gutrich colon works which have reached a high level of the post-war production thanks to intensive work. This is the last phase of the complicated production process. The inner mold is removed, and the tire is ready for use. Wheels roll and icons for the boosting of the French industry.
06. from the work of UNRRA, a Conference of UNRRA, the relief and reconstruction work of the United Nations was Instead of in London headed by its Chairman Herbert Lehmann. It was etc. announced that 25 million people in need in Europe and the far East prior to the winter through the UNRRA warm clothes will receive.
Oberammergau in Bavaria, formerly the international meeting place of tourists and onlookers. It is now, a concentration camp for deported Hungarian families. Children's clothing are issued within the framework of the UNRRA action. Most garments come from America. Medical care is one of the most important tasks of the UNRRA and in turn is the welfare of the children in the first place. [...] provides training and education. The children get their first introduction in the field of learning and knowledge. For adults, there are hours of language and other lessons, which should help them resume of a normal life.
07. friends nuclear bomb this is the photographic recording of an atomic bomb, filmed in the first blast at the 17. July 1945 in the desert of New Mexico, from a distance of 10 kilometers. The laboratory in Oakridge in the North American State Tennesy is similar to a secret city. 2 years scientists and technicians in strict seclusion working here at the completion of the hugest means of destruction, that the world has ever known. Completely cut off from the outside world, it had its own post office, their own streets and shops, their own newspaper, which tells them the success of their work. Nobel Laureate Professor Ernest Lawrenz work on the atomic bomb with the help of the Aton cyclotrons completed at the University of California. £ 500 million were spent on the preparatory work until this first attempt with the unleashed forces of nature could be executed. The impact was tremendous, only comparable to that with an earthquake or a volcanic eruption. The observers were protected by bunkers at a distance of 10 kilometers. Nevertheless, a number of them through the air to the ground were thrown and stunned. Searing heat spread, black smoke damage increased by 10 km high. A 11 metre high iron Tower, on the right side of the screen to see disintegrated into dust. This is the new Zerstörungsmittel that the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki has eaten shortly before the end of the war from the ground, the most formidable weapon in the history of mankind. The allies, who hold the secret of the atomic bomb, are determined that this tremendous invention in the future should serve only as a deterrent to war and war makers. The successful nuclear fission begins a new era in the world with its incalculable wealth of applications. There should be a period of improving and the reassurance of human life.
06 by German schools of socialism has neglected the training of German youth, poisoned their education. The schleunigste restoration of the destroyed school building is all the more important. The Allied military authorities consider this task as one of the most important reconstruction work, and promote them by all means. But at the same time the self-help and the own initiative must work. In the rubble of the Keppler secondary school in Ulm have the boys with their teachers to the reconditioning their school together done. Everyone creates with hand, collects bricks, passes it, purifies it and stratifies them together. All these boys are under 16 years of age. You work every day from morning 8 until 12 noon. Students have become construction workers temporarily. They build, so that they can soon be students.
[...] So keep right on it. Your teachers and teachers will help you, and you will see, makes nie which thanks you hard work and every day more joyful."
Since the Allied occupation, over 100 Hamburg schools have been opened again. 70 more are to follow soon. Of 100,000 school-age children aged 6-14, around 50,000 enjoy teaching again. Using selected and politically reliable teachers with newly published textbooks. Senator Landahl has been determined by the Allied military authorities as the head of the Hamburg-based education. (Original sound) "My dear parents, my teachers, and teachers. Once again, new students are recruited in the school. All of us in the great task of raising our children together using land. We are No more living in the compulsory State of national socialism who knew nothing but blind obedience. Again, the public things must be borne by all of us. This is a vibrant democracy. So we To want us join hands and together to educate the children to real humanity. The school administration and the military Government began their preparations for the reopening of schools, we saw just rubble and debris, the only inheritance, Nazism has left us all around us. Ruins are still around us, but the evil time is over At last, and we go with our whole strength to work. Let us educate our children to decent, honest, tolerant people, people who love peace and reject violence to people who can rely on their own head, and also what they think and courageously before everyone represented, to people who are willing and able, disinterested in the community in which they are in, to serve.