Year at a glance 1. The cold disaster - WIF 86/1 2 Japan: 1 people's Parliament - WIF 81/1 3 Munich: blowing up the Ehrentempel - WIF 86/4 4 United States: South Pole expedition of Admiral Byrd - WIF 89/5 5 trip of the British Royal family to South Africa - WIF 94/3 6 New York: meeting of UN - WIF 78/2 7 United States: Marshal is 91/4 8 homecoming from East and West - WIF 93/6 Secretary - WIF, WIF 96/2 9 Dachau: dismissal of the last German prisoners of war from American captivity - WIF 111/5 10 volcanic eruption of Mount Etna - WIF 95/4 11 Herbert Hoover in Germany - WIF 91/1 12 Dunkirk: signing of the British-French Alliance Pact - WIF 95/2 13 volunteers for the Ruhr construction WIF - 98/2 14 Frankfurt: General CLAY succeeds General McNarny - WIF 96/1 15 Aintree: Grand National - WIF 100/7 16 release date in the US zone "between yesterday and today" - WIF 102/6 17 Alpine North Sea Expreß - WIF 103/2 of 18th Lord Pakenham in the Ruhr area - WIF 104/3 19 Brazil: Eclipse - WIF 108/2 20. Food from the United States for Germany - WIF 106/5 21 fire disaster in Texas City - WIF 102/2 22 Munich: International Youth Conference - WIF 110/1 23 record of flight around the Earth by William Odom - WIF 118/4 24 Cologne: German Athletics Championships - WIF 117/7 25 independence for India - WIF 120/5 26 Dachau: judgment in the Buchenwald process - WIF 112/1 27 export Messe Hannover - WIF 118/5 28 England: John Cobb - WIF 113/4 speed record 29. The great drought - WIF 120/4 30 French municipal elections - WIF 127/5 31 Göttingen: Max Planck +-WIF 126/3 32 cholera epidemic in Egypt - WIF 127/1 33. Zugspitze: birthday of snow also house - WIF 125/3 34. Hamburg: box to the German Championship Hein ten Hoff Walter Neusel - WIF 126/7 35. crossing of the Atlantic with führerlosem aircraft - WIF 127/5 36 refugees - WIF 124/5 37. farewell to Sir Sholto Douglas - WIF 128/1 38. Wedding Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip - WIF 132/5 chimney on roof, delicate stone sweep and pigs
It was 1947...
01. the beginning of 1947 was marked by the cold disaster. The bitterest Frost hamstrung economy and transport, endangered life and health for decades. Only reluctantly and late thaw town and country from icy grasp freed.
02. the far East saw a lighter year beginning. After over 2,000 years imperialism goes the power of the imperial family on the Parliament elected by the people. Hirohito himself announced the progress of democracy. The Constitution Day is the celebration for all Japan.
03. in the Royal square in Munich, the so-called Ehrentempel were blown up. The former place of worship of the Third Reich fell in rubble and debris.
04. the American Admiral Byrd undertook the largest ever expedition to the South Pole. Thirteen ships penetrated deep in the Antarctic. Exploration of mineral resources and the weather was the main goal of the trip. Her climax: The aerial of the South Pole with Admiral Byrd. He is the only person who has flown over North and South Pole.
05. the English Royal family went on a State visit to South Africa. The high score by Prime Minister Smuts in Cape Town reception initiated a colorful series of celebrations,-not least the homage of the natives in full war paint for the large, White King.
06. the United Nations General Assembly meeting in New York. It was established by President Truman. The representatives of 57 Nations participated in this session. A central point of New York was chosen as future permanent seat of the UN, will rise from a huge modern building complex instead of outdated housing.
07. new American Secretary of State General George Marshall was in the place of James Byrnes. Marshall took over in the characters of the most important global political decisions.
8th more and more released prisoners of war arrived in whole Germany. The returnees come first at transit camp, before they are dispatched to their homes and their families. For many, the transition to civilian life is a serious problem. The Arbeiterwohlfahrt and other organizations help as far as it is in their power. The American army sacked their last war prisoners from the Dachau camp. Over 460,000 German prisoners of war in freedom from American hand were used in about 2 years. America has no German war prisoners.
09. the largest European volcano, Mount Etna on Sicily, rejoined after many years in activity. Fiery lava flows threatening villages and fertile land. The frightened population is their refuge to the prayer.
10. the Director of the American Committee for nutritional support, Herbert Hoover, arrived to study of the living conditions in Germany.
11. The Foreign Ministers of France and England, Bidault and Bevin, met at the end of a 50-year-old Alliance in Dunkirk. Purpose of this Pact is constantly to ensure the peace and security of both countries.
12. the Ruhr area, the large central rear derailleur of the German reconstruction, experienced increasing All the time increasing performance and production during the year 1947. The influx of volunteers from all parts of the country and active assistance with Allied quickened the coal production. The digits of promotion of increased continuously and reached a record performance from 284,000 tons a day.
13 General McNarney, Commander of American forces in Europe and military Governor of German U.S. zone, transferred its functions to General Clay.
14. the hardest race in the world, England famous Grand National, saw 57 horses at the start. As always, it was a race of sensations and falls. An outsider won with betting odds of 1000: 10.
15. The German film industry came in the course of the year more and more underway. In all Ateliersarbeiteten, actor on recordings known to new German feature films.
16. a the most important German trains, the Alpine North Sea Express, was put into service. The nearly 1,000 kilometre-long route also dining and sleeping cars are running with.
17 Lord Pakenham was appointed the Minister for the British zone of occupation in Germany. Lord Pakenham during a visit to the Ruhr area.
18 scientists from 10 Nations gathered in Brazil to observe a total solar eclipse. The Moon moves for four minutes before the Sun - a cosmic process of earthly importance for weather research and astronomy.
19 all year about the food situation remained the heaviest of all German concerns. Deliveries from overseas helped millions of Germans to survive the most serious emergency. Despite the time-related difficulties, despite of all malicious rumors talk numbers and facts for themselves: each second slice bread of the normal consumer comes from imports from overseas. These imports are paid for by America and England.
20. the largest fire disaster of the year devastated the North American port city of Texas City. Over a thousand and three thousand others injured were recovered from the ruins.
21. a large international youth rally brought together representatives from 14 countries in Munich. For France, there appeared the poet André Gide, which this year was awarded the Nobel Prize. This demonstration suggested new bridges of understanding and community of interest between the German youth and youth of from abroad.
22. the American pilot William Odom flew around the world like a greased lightning. 36,000 kilometres in 73 hours - seemingly the record of world records.
23 in Cologne, the German Athletics Championships were Instead of the 50th anniversary. 1000 participants fought the decision. 18 new year best performance were achieved. Thus, the German athletics reached back international level.
24. in India the governance of England on the Indian people was programmed. According to the plan of the last Viceroy, Lord Louis Mountbatten, the country was divided into two States: Pakistan under Mohamed Ali Jinnah with a predominantly Muslim population and India under Pandit Nehru. The slogan of the Indian problem is decisive for the fate of 300 million people. Also Mahatma Gandhi participated in the negotiations shall be decisive.
25. the number of major war crimes trials is completion. In Dachau was talked about those in charge of the concentration camp Buchenwald the judgment, the atonement for the death of 53,000 prisoners. 22 death sentences were imposed. lifelong imprisonment was Ilse Koch, the wife of former commanders and infamous Kommandeuse from Buchenwald.
26. the first large export fair in Hannover was "Showcase of Germany" of extraordinary importance for the economy of the Western zones. Thousands of foreign visitors stated the new performance of the German industry. Transferring foreign export orders at high altitude have been made.
27. as the fastest man on land proved the Englishman John Cobb. In his special car, he started on the track at the salt flats in Utah, United States. Cobb reached the fantastic speed of 631 kilometers per hour.
28 a hard summer was followed by the severe winter. The biggest drought of the century destroyed crops, choked the reconstruction work paralyzed the economy. Heat and drought created water shortages. The lack of water led to power locks, which laid down important areas of private and public life. The consequences of the serious drought in 1947 worked until the end of the year.
29. in the municipal elections in France, the people's Union General de Gaulle won a surprise success. The election result is crucial political development in France.
30. in Göttingen, the great German scholar, died 89jährig, Professor Dr. Max Planck, the creator of quantum theory and winner of the Nobel Prize for physics. This last shot of the film shows the world famous researchers in the circle of his employees.
31. a cholera epidemic struck Egypt. Many children--also Germany - sent vaccines, with whose help the disease finally was defeated.
32. a birthday in the cloud amount: the Münchner Haus on the Summit of the Zugspitze was 50 years old. It is the highest in Germany.
33. the sensational boxing match of the year: the German champions, Hein ten Hoff, defended his title against Walter Neusel in Hamburg. 48,000 viewers experiencing a quick change of emotions and highlights. MD Nadeem has on the boards in the 7th round. He will be counted. It is Neusels first knockout defeat. Ten Hoff remains the champion.
34. the first crossing of the Atlantic by a pilotless plane was a technical sensation. A so-called "mechanical brain" drew the remote machine from Newfoundland to England. The almost 4,000 kilometre-long route was travelled without incident.
35. also in this years subsided not the stream of refugees beyond Germany's borders. Properly based and illegal cross-border hiking and infiltrate in country and town. These nomads today million number is a burden and responsibility for local authorities and population. The classification of this homeless in a new home will continue to be one of the most urgent tasks.
36. Air Marshal Sir Sholto Douglas, the British commander in Germany, returned to England. His successor was Sir Brian Robertson.
37. the major events of the year ended with a festive Gala finale: the wedding of British heir to the throne Princess Elizabeth with Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten, Duke of Edinburgh. 30 members of foreign Royal houses were present at the ceremony in Westminster Abbey. Dignity and emotion, pageantry and popularity gave her character of this feast. Tens of thousands of well-wishers cheered in front of the Buckingham Palace.
38. that was 1947 - for the new year good wishes you a "World in film".
A chronicle of the news events and highlights of the past 12 months, from a year's edition of "World im Film."
01. The year 1947 began with a catastrophic cold wave. The most bitter frost for decades stopped industry and traffic, endangered life and health. Only slowly, and very late, a thaw liberated town and country from icy winter.
02. Hirohito, Japan
03. In the Königlicher Platz in Munich the Nazi's "Ehrentempel" was blown up. The former shrine of the 3rd Reich fell into rubble.
04. Admiral Byrd, South Pole.
05. The British Royal Family, South Africa.
06. United Nations, New York.
07. General George Marshall succeeds James Byrnes, Washington.
08. More and more discharged POWs arrived all over Germany. The homecomers are first received in Camps before they are sent home. It is very difficult for many of them to enter civil life again. The Arbeiterwohlfahrt and other organisations help as well as they can. The US Army released the last POW from Dachau camp. In a little over two years more than 460.000 German POWs were fr[...]ed by the Americans. Today America has no German POWs.
09. Aetna Volcano, Sicily.
10. Herbert Hoover, director of the American Committee for food relief, arrived in Germany to study conditions.
11. Bidault and Bevin, Dunkirk.
12. The Ruhr District, the great centre of German reconstruction, had a steady increase of production during 1947. The calling of volunteers from all parts of the country and the active assistance of the Allied improved coal production. Deliveries increased steadily, and reached a record of 284.000 tons per day.
13. General Mc Narney and General Clay, Frankfurt.
14. The Grand National, England.
15. During 1947 the German film industry resumed production. In all studios well known actors started work in the pictures of the new German feature productions.
16. One of German's most important trains, the Alpine-North-Sea-Express, resumed its scheduled run. On the almost 1.000 kilometer distance the train has restaurant and sleeping cars.
17. Lord Pakenham was Choosen Dirister for the British Zone of Occupation in Germany. Here he pays a visit to the Ruhr District.
18. Eclipse, Brazil.
19. During the whole year the food situation was the severest of all German problems. Imports from overseas helped millions of Germans to live over the crisis. In spite of all difficulties, in spite of all bad rumours, numbers and facts speak for themselves. Each second piece of bread for the normal consumer is made of overseas imports. These imports are paid by America and England.
20. Fire, Texas City.
21. A great international Youth Meeting of representatives of 14 countries was held in Munich. The poet André Gide, who this year won the Nobel Prize, represented France. This demonstration built new bridges of understanding between German youth and youth from abroad.
22. William Odom, around-the-world flight.
23. For the 50th time the German Athletic Championships were held. 1.000 competitors participated. 18 of the year's best results were recorded. This German Athletic most gained international level in performance.
24. Great Britain frees India.
25. The great War Crimes trials come to their conclusion. In Dachau those [...]nsible for the concentration camp of Buchenwald were sentenced, the punishment for the death of 53.000 prisoners. 22 death sentences were announced. Life imprisonment was the fate of Ilse Koch, the wife of the farmer Commander of Buchenwald.
26. The first great Export Show in Hannover was of great importance for the whole economy of the Western Zones. Thousands of foreign visitors inspected the new activity of German industry. Many export orders were received on the basis of foreign exchange.
27. John Cobb, Salt Lake, USA.
28. After a severe winter came a hard summer. The greatest drought of this century ruined the crops, stopped reconstruction and paralyzed industrie. Heat and drought caused shortage of water - - which in turn cause shortage of electricity. The casualities of the great drought lastet till the end of 1947.
29. General de Gaulle, France.
30. In Göttingen, the funeral of the 89-year-old great German scientist, Professor Dr. Max Planck, the creater of the theory of the quantum and winner of the Nobel-Prize for physics. These last pictures show him together with h[...] collaborators.
31. Cholera-epidemic, Egypt.
32. A birth-day in the mountains: "Münchner Haus" on the peak of the Zugspitze, became 50 years old. It is the highest house in Germany.
33. The sensational boxing match of the year. The German Champion, Hein ten Hoff, and his challenger, Walter Neusel, in Hamburg. 48.000 fans saw a thrilling fight. In the 7th round Neusel goes down. It is Neusel's first k.o. Ten Hoff is still German Champion.
34. Atlantic crossing, radio-propelled plane.
35. Also in ths year the stream of refugees pouring over Germany's borders did not stop. Legal and illegal persons wander over the border and crowd the country and towns. These millions of nomads are a great responsibility for the officials and the population. The settling of the homeless is still one of our to tasks.
36. Air Marshal Sir Sholto Douglas, the British Commander-in- Chief in Germany, returned to England. His successor is Sir Brian Robertson.
37. Princess Elizabeth's Wedding, London. a.
38. This was 1947. - - For the new year "World in Film" wishes you all good luck.
Sachindex Wochenschauen ; Animals (except dogs) ; Jobs ; aftermath of war
Translated by Microsoft Translator