1 Oxford - Cambridge 1948 - record victory in record time crowds on the banks of the River Thames. The two rowing boats at the start. Start. Oxford boat goes into the lead because of Cambridge rower out of step. Cambridge but is catching up and win by five lengths.
(42 m) 02. streiflichter Germany a. Frankfurt / Main: Exchange of professors from United States the professors are welcomed by the Rector of the University. Register in the guest book of the University. The Rector distributed treatise on the situation of the German universities. Among the guests of Mrs. Thelmar Thurstone, Professor of psychology. Professors sit around table.
(19 m) b. Berlin: exhibition "London, a world city" major-General Herbert, Commander of the British sector of Berlin, at the lectern, half close, in greeting. People in the exhibition. Model of the old London Bridge. Pictures of Tower Bridge, Piccadilly, the stock exchange and of Westminster Hall.
(27 m) c. Tecklenburg: puppets puppet master go with their puppets. Demonstration of a shadow game. Viewers laugh. Puppet play. Drunk on the lamppost, clown, Kerry. As a spectator, laugh.
(34 m) 3rd Württemberg: public forum: ask of the Government officials and representatives of the military Government questions the population. Actuality: "why is the seizure carried out only in the agriculture and the industry do not?" Reply to "Mr Dr. Feidt Minister of Economics said to us, to perform this control in any appropriate form. A few weeks later has been posted by round available, that a check in the aforementioned form not performed because the related personnel does not exist." Audience laugh.
(46 m) 04 United States: President Truman signed the European utility Truman signs, half close, with various jaws. He distributed the Penholder after signature. Goods are loaded from ship.
(29 m) 05. Visit thatched roof houses in Worpswede in the artist village Worpswede. Painter in outdoor paints. People working in the garden. An artist's Studio. Young girl in spinning. Woman weaving a wall shading device. Exhibition in the art show. The poet Manfred Hausmann welcomes guests in the evening. Young girl plays the piano.
(46 m) 06. From the circus and Zoo a. circus belli in the quarter horses between circus wagon run. Repair of the car. Child for agility exercises. Lion in the cage. Girl does backward somersault. Small clown leads horse with short legs. Juggler on horse.
(34 m) b. motorcycle death driver driving two motorcyclists and a motorcycle rider in wall.
(20 m) c. Vienna: young bears in the Zoo bear mother with two young bears. Mother bear raises young bear for the Cheer up. Little bear falls down the wall.
1 Oxford-Cambridge 1948: record victory in record time records in England's classic rowing event, the competition of the two university teams of Oxford and Cambridge. Next: Record crowd of record sunshine.
Then the start. Pictured front Oxford.
Immediately afterwards an incident: after a few strikes one of the Cambridge rower begins a cancer - what an oar in the jargon from sliding.
Oxford takes advantage of this moment and get a boat length ahead. But Cambridge is in this 94th meeting of the two teams in top form. Metre wins the eighth of blue on the seven kilometre long route, and soon, Oxford is defeated.
Cambridge increased his lead to five lengths on and rowing a record out for his 50th victory. The team is faster than the previous course record of 1934 by 13 seconds.
02. streiflichter from Germany: a. Professors of exchange of, six American professors of the University of Chicago arrived in Germany. Hold guest lectures at the University of Frankfurt. Here they sign the guest book of the University.
The Rector then distributed a paper on the situation of the German universities. Among the guests: Mrs. Thelmar Thurstone, Professor of psychology.
150 more American and other foreign professors will soon arrive in Germany. German professors teaching at American universities will go in the way of Exchange.
b. London exhibition in Berlin, the new information center of the British military Government on the Kurfürstendamm with an exhibition of "London - a world city" was opened. Major-General Herbert, the Commander of the British sector of Berlin, said the greeting words. The representative show gives an overview of the be and grow the ten city. A special attraction is the model of the old London Bridge, a bridge of houses from the 15th century.
Here of the ancient Tower Bridge Piccadilly Circus, the London Centre – the exhibition is the most important British show, which will be shown from abroad since the war.
c. punch in Tecklenburg, Westphalia, met the most famous puppeteer of in Germany from all four zones. At the same time, it was a Congress and a friendly competition. 300 puppeteers showed the creatures, whose playing today moves as once the hearts of children.
From the silhouette on the carved wooden punch along with devil and grandmother everything was represented, including some novel. Especially the puppets moving with a Masterful precision and A lot of empathy in human foibles.
(Drunk and lantern).
A tap dance from Freehand.
Children were invited as expert audience. You cheered punch and his court in undiminished attachment.
03. ask of the Government under the motto: "The people ask - reply officials" found in Württemberg-Baden the first public forum for the population of the district Sisnheim Instead of. Representatives of the military Government and officials of County and city administration turned to discuss all possible issues that are for the general public of interest of the population. Towards this end, the language were the worries and needs of each individual. For example the problem: extract hoarding in the industry. (Original sound)
Such meetings are common and popular in America under the name "Town Meeting" for a long time. They should now also regularly take place as popular a vibrant democracy.
04. the European utility: President Truman of the 3 April 1948 will remain signed a date of historical significance. President Truman awarded on this day the foreign utility in the United States by his signature law. Thus the European reconstruction programme in the framework of the Marshall plan came into effect.
President Truman signed with various jaws, which he handed over to its employees as a reminder.
The economically strongest superpower Germany's support for the reconstruction of pan-European grants to 16 European countries and the three Western zones. A significant proportion of the European reconstruction programme will be in Germany.
The aid have used Right away with the settlement of signed by President Truman.
05. visit to the artist village Worpswede In the lonely Teufelsmoor in Bremen is the famous artist village Worpswede. 2 generations, painters and poets have given its special character this place. Well-known names such as Professor Mackensen, Rainer Maria Rilke and Paula Modersohn-Becker and Wilhelm Scharrelmann associate with the term of Worpswede. Painters, sculptors and artists have created and create still in silence and seclusion of this artistic village in the midst of its rural population.
Furniture, carpets and tapestries of Worpswede enjoy due to their solid execution of a good reputation.
Many foreign visitors see the permanent art exhibition, which is housed in one of the distinctive timber-framed houses. In the evening we meet in convivial circles. The poet Manfred Hausmann receives Worpswede friends. Young talents To find funding and expert advice on these evenings. Worpswede retained its reputation as home to the art and the arts and crafts in this day and age.
06. of circus and Zoo between two seasons the circus belli on an own farm near Lüneburg paused. The large operating rests while in this time, but the many small obligations of the circus people go on even in this idyllic place. Training and rehabilitation is the solution – both is needed to keep the circus. Everyone is this: of the lion to school horse, by the artist young up to the clown. They tried new numbers, because the audience to experience new surprises of circus. And one day shine again colorful posters from all walls: today premiere - big Gala program, that the circus must work - also when he takes a vacation.
These death drivers, however, have the start in the new season already behind him. With D-train speed Kitty grass she at the steep wall along - among them Müller, the only woman who operates this breakneck sport in Germany. A brilliant performance three hands on the wall - a game with the danger, the iron nerves and great technique requires. Family Baer in the Vienna Zoo is at the time another property before: curiosity. The two bear cubs, Mksure and Blupps are extremely excited, as the adventure of the first spring tour will run.
01. Oxford-Cambridge 1948:
A record Victory in Record Time
Records were broken in England's classic best race between Oxford and Cambridge. First, a record number of spectators, and record weather. The start: Oxford in front. An incident: after a few strokes one of the Cambridge rowers catches a crab. Oxford gains a boat length. But Cambridge, in this 94th race, is in good form. They gain meter after meter over the 7 kilometer distance, and soon Oxford is beaten. Cambridge improves its lead up to 5 lengths and with its 50th victory scores a record: the team was 13 seconds faster than the former record, made in 1934.
02. News Flashes from Germany:
a. Exchange of Professors
6 American professors from the University of Chicago arrived in Germany. They will give lectures at Frankfurt University. Here they enter their names in the guest book of the University. The Rector distributes a pamphlet about conditions in German universities. Among the guests: Mrs. Thelmar Thurstone, professor of psychology. 150 American and foreign professors will come to Germany. German professors will go to teach at American universities.
b. London Exhibition
In Berlin the new information centre of the British Government was opened with "London; Picture of a Metropolis" on the Kurfürstendamm. Major General Herbert. Commander of the British Sector in Berlin, made the inaugural speech. This representative show gives a survey of the growth and development of the city of 10 million. Very attractive is this model of Old London Bridge, a bridge of houses of the 15th century. Here is the famous Tower Bridge - - - Piccadilly Circus, the traffic centre of London. This show is the largest presented abroad by the British since the war.
In Tecklenburg, Westphalia, 300 puppet-players from Germany's 4 zones held a meeting. During the congress they displayed all kinds of old and modern puppets. Children were invited and got a real kick out of what they saw.
03. Germany's First "Town Meeting"
Under the motto "The people ask - the officials answer" the first public forum was held in Wurttemberg-Baden for the population of Landkreis Sinsheim. Representatives of Military Government and officials of the Kreis and municipial administration answered questions of public interest. The sorrows-and troubles of everyone were discussed. (Original Sound). These rallies are known in America as "Town Meetings" and are very popular. Now they will be held regularly in Germany as a public and democratic institution.
04. President Truman Signs the ERP Bill
The 3rd of April, 1948, will be a date of historical importance. President Truman, by his signature, gave the Foreign Relief Programme of the U.S.A. legislative power. The ERP of the Marshall Plan goes to work. President Truman signed with several pens which he gave to his collaborators as mementoes. The economically strongest country gives 16 European lands and the 3 West Zones of Germany help for European reconstruction. A large part will go to Germany.
05. A Visit to the Artists Village of Worpswede
In the remote Teufelsmoor near Bremen is the famous Worpswede artists' village. For 2 generations painters and writers have given this place its special significance. Professor Mackensen, Paula Modersohn-Becker,Rainer Maria Rilke and Wilhelm Scharrelmann lived here. Painters, sculptors, and craftsmen created and still create in the midst of the rural population. Furniture, carpets and Gobelins from Worpswede are famed for their artistic quality. Many foreign visitors see the permanent art show. At night social parties are held. The writer Manfred Hausmann receives friends. Young talent gets advise from an expert. Even today Worpswede sticks to its fame as the home of art".
06. Circus and Zoo
1. Between seasons the Circus Belli rests on its own farm near Lüneburg. Even during the holiday, training and repairing has to go on. Also new acts are trained, for the spectators always want new thrills.
2. These break-neck drivers start the new season. At enormous speed they drive round the wall - Kitty Müller is among them, the only woman in Germany in this sport.
3. The bear family in the Vienna Zoo display their latest products: "Strupps and Blupps", who are taking their first walk in spring.
Persons in the Film
Hausmann, Manfred ; Grönemeyer, Herbert ; Mackensen ; Thurstone, Thelmar ; Truman, Harry
London ; Frankfurt ; Berlin ; Tecklenburg ; Worpswede ; Washington ; Bremen ; Württemberg ; Lüneburg ; Vienna
Sachindex Wochenschauen ; Higher education ; Children ; Musical events ; Political events ; Rowing ; Shipping ; sports facilities ; Cities ; Animals (except dogs) ; Art ; Works of art ; Puppets ; Marshall plan ; Zoo, Wildlife Park ; Architecture ; artist children ; Exhibitions ; Crew ; aftermath of war
Translated by Microsoft Translator