Neue Deutsche Wochenschau 382/1957 24.05.1957
01 Mittenwald: vow of 1st conscripts of the Bundeswehr appearance of conscripts. Torches. Defense Minister Franz Josef Strauß: Quote: "The democratic State must impose this obligation to its citizens, so that he is able to preserve the rights and the free life order of these citizens." Regiment commander takes oath from actuality: "I vow to serve the Federal Republic of Germany and bravely defend the law and the freedom of the German people." "Helmet off to prayer" - "I pray to the power of love".
02. Munich: 9 trade fair woman weaving on loom. Woman sewing on a sewing machine. Special exhibition of the federal railways. Armature winding. Telecommunications mechanic soldering. Reconstruction of locomotive E 18 apprentices built. Potters. Glass blowing.
03. Copenhagen: State visit Elizabeth II and Prince Philip Elizabeth and Philip get out of Bowl by King Frederik and Queen Ingrid is located. Elizabeth and Frederik step out front of the stand. Accompanied by equestrian guards Elizabeth and Frederik ride in horse-drawn carriage, in 2. Coach Philip and Ingrid to Amalienborg Palace. Cameramen. Photo: Frederik, Elizabeth, Ingrid, Philip and 3 Danish princesses.
04. Tokyo: Visit Kardinal Frings Kardinal Frings attended the convent of the Sisters of the Holy Spirit. Nuns kneel down. Frings, great. Children give flowers and gifts.
05. Hamburg: Lutheran General Synod Pastor Street street sign. Procession of the pastors to the St. Michael's Church. Meeting of bishops and divines in the parish hall. Address Bishop Lilje. Among the present Mayor Sieveking.
06. Hanover: Ceremony for Hinrich Kopf Minister Hamel gives the former Prime Minister of Lower Saxony Hinrich Kopf the lower Saxon State medal. Medal, great.
07. Atlantic: Equipment for the rescue of shipwrecked the French army exercises with devices to rescue Chinook aircraft in distress. Inflatable boat is discarded and inflates itself. In the boat small transmitter for SOS calls. Food. Smoke cartridges.
08 Australia: Men leave chimney dismantling at the foot of the base of the chimney bricks. Chimney rushes to the side, breaks down on the way down and crashes on houses. Search in the debris field.
09th Hockenheim: motorcycle racing of the side-car Grand Prix of Germany start the sidecar machines. Boys as spectators with rain hoods. Young couple under umbrella. Cornering and racing on the straight. It win Hillebrandt/Grunwald. Award ceremony with wreath.
10 food: Harlem Globetrotters basketball tricks of the Harlem Globetrotters with joke scenes and basket throws.
11 London: Cup final Rugby Leeds BARROW 9-7 game at Wembley Stadium. Spectators waving handkerchiefs screen. Game scenes. Player is created, brings but still the ball over the line. Game scenes of full hardness with holding and throwing out. Winning team receives major trophy from Leeds.
Origin / Type of content
Persons in the Film
Elisabeth II. von England; Frederik von Dänemark; Frings; Hellwege, Heinrich; Herntrich; Ingrid von Dänemark; Kopf, Hinrich; Lilje; Philip Mountbatten von Edinboroug; Sieveking, Kurt; Sieveking; Strauß, Franz Josef; Grunwald; Hillebrand
Sachindex Wochenschauen; Basketball; Federal; Bundeswehr; Railways; Craft; motor sports; Medals, awards, honors; Religious events; Rugby; Shipping; Spoprt-Ehrungen; sports audience, sports spectator; 99.412 Deutsche week show GmbH: State visits (outside); Military; Flugzeugwesen, Flugwesen; Jobs; Exhibitions; Military; Sports honors; 14 find book new German newsreel slow motion
Translated by Microsoft Translator
Neue Deutsche Wochenschau 382/1957
Die Zeit unter der Lupe (Other title)
- Country of Origin:
- Federal Republic of Germany
Year of Production and/or Release
- Date of Release:
- Year of Production:
- Title brand: Swearing Mittenwald camera: Stoll, Hafner 9 Munich trade fair camera: Hafner Elizabeth II in Copenhagen. origin: Danske film Cardinal Frings in Tokyo source: Asahi news Luther. General Synod Michaelishaus camera: Salihu Niedersächs. Medal f. Hinrich Kopf camera: pupil shipwrecked rescue equipment origin: Pathé journal chimney fall in wrong direction origin: Cine sound Grand Prix Dtschld. Hockenheim camera: strong, 30th anniversary. d. Harlem Globetrotters camera: Basic, Luppa English Rugby League final Wembley origin: Pathe news final mark:
First Conscription in Germany after World War II (April 1, 1957)
For the first time after World War II new conscripts moved into German barracks on April 1, 1957. Following the Wehrmacht’s unconditional surrender in May of 1945 the victorious allies had decided on the demilitarization of Germany. Most Germans were categorically opposed to rearmament. The political discussion about re-establishing military units within the Federal Republic of Germany in the beginning of the 1950s changed its tune when the Korean War intensified the East-West conflict. The Western Allies wanted to integrate Germany into a Western military alliance. Chancellor Adenauer also favored German rearmament as part of his efforts to boost Western integration and he worked toward German sovereignty. Despite severe protests opposing the rearmament the Federal Republic of Germany joined the European Defence Community in 1952—as part of the Paris Treaty—and in 1955 it joined NATO. The West German Army was established within the same year. The military constitution was put into effect in 1952 when the deployment of armed forces was stipulated in the German Grundgesetz (Engl. Basic Law of the Federal Republic of Germany). Beginning in July 1956 all German men born after June 30, 1937 became liable to military service. On April 1st 1957 the first large scale enlistment took place.
In July of 2011 the German Bundestag suspended conscription—55 years after it was introduced. Recently there has been talk to reintroduce compulsory military service, partly due to the shortage of recruits, the altered security situation in Europe and the USA’s demand that Germany show a stronger commitment within NATO
More video clips on this subject
Neue Deutsche Wochenschau 382/1957
Neue Deutsche Wochenschau 337/1956
Welt im Bild 211/1956
Neue Deutsche Wochenschau 351/1956
Neue Deutsche Wochenschau 361/1956
Neue Deutsche Wochenschau 386/1957
Neue Deutsche Wochenschau 262/1955
Welt im Bild 183/1955