1 Hamburg: German Elektronensyncroton DESY - research center for nuclear physics building by DESY in Bahrenfeld. Gate opens at the front gate. Capture of the area from above. Model. Nuclear particles rush in the ring. DESY in practice. A pipe wrapped magnet passes through a concrete tunnel. Scientists monitors observe what happens when Atomic particles collide. Computer centre with control system. Traces of the collisions are recorded on screen. Putting together a super detector from the United States. Giant cabling system.
(57 m) 02 industrial archaeology (see D 278/4, your own text) modern industrial buildings. High-rise buildings. Old boat lift. Control room with instruments. Old, under monument protection related, industrial buildings. Old water tower. 120-year-old Headframe, efeubewachsen. Old Colliery buildings used as indoor tennis courts. Machine Hall by Bill with stained glass Windows and decorative elements. Nice technical buildings of the past. Fittings, watch. (49 m) 03. The German Union Berlin: 12 ordinary Congress of the Union of the DGB. Trade Union officials in the meeting room. Bling, big, Lane, big. Hands are raised in vote. Seriously, broadband is congratulated after his election as the new Chairman. Clapping.
Hamburg: May day demonstration with banners against unemployment and disruption of social peace. Meeting in front of the Union House in the Kurt Shoemaker Avenue. Factory of machine factory. Workers at machines. E transport car driving. Confidence man of the IG-Metall speaks in the break with colleagues o-ton: "I come today to you colleagues with a problem... "Meeting of the Works Council. Factory Hall. Drill into workpiece, greatly. Workers at work leave workplace.
(86 m) 04 Würzburg: Mozart Festival in the residence before the Würzburg Castle Orchestra performs works by Mozart in the Mozart-fest. Audience in the Park of the Castle. Fountain. Interiors of the baroque castle. Staircase is richly decorated with ceiling fresco. Ceiling fresco in the Emperor's Hall. Magnificent rooms.
(55 m) 5th Catastrophies between pedestrians carrying young mothers with their children in strollers, on the hand in the seat pocket in front of himself. Young working mothers on bench in operation after closing time to sink and homework help for children. Mothers are on deck chairs in place of lectures. Children can play under supervision on the playground. The mothers in gymnastics in the open air and at dinner in the dining room. Conversations, interview, to help with problems of everyday life. Tinker. Mudflat hiking.
(64 m) 06. Ulrike Mayfarth - a second career In the tracksuit Ulrike Meyfarth sits on the floor in front of competition. Preparation and concentration before jumping. You undressed tracksuit. Start and jump ZL. Latte is torn.
Review: (D 217) Olympic Games Munich: Ulrike Meyfarth skips 1.92 m wins the gold medal. Clap screen. Congratulations to the winner. For many years of the break. Ulrike Meyfarth sitting in Garden and painted sketches. Close-up of face. Viewers filling picture. Congratulations to the winner. For many years of the break. Ulrike Meyfarth jumps over 2 m and is ZL with 2.02 m European champion. Advertisement: Hardenberg grain, Sparkasse.
(62 m) 7 US subject: German-American Club dune grass. Wadden Sea. Setting sun. German-American holiday in East Frisia on the campsite. Horseshoe throwing, ball games, Frisbee, exit with shrimp, sitting around a campfire and sing.
01 DESY could be at first glance any large company or an authority complex. But behind the unassuming façade, a world-renowned research institution for nuclear physics. Abbreviated the German electron synchrotron DESY, to the West of Hamburg.
DESY is one of three large rings, in which Atomic particles around speed. Looks like a ring in reality. It is a tube wrapped magnet that is guided by a powerful 2.3 km-long concrete tunnel.
A detector weighs 1,400 tons. With the help of this giant plant, the researchers observe what happens when Atomic particles collide with each other. Clashes are here indeed desirable.
The electron and Positron currents in the storage rings are controlled by a computer center. The collisions of elementary particles happen incredibly quickly. Only the traces can be register and investigate.
Computer-controlled processes run in this research. The search will find Instead of according to recent findings in halls, which would be a large enterprise of the industry to the honor. The Assembly of Cristal Ball - on German: crystal ball - is almost finished. American physicist brought the 10 million mark-expensive Super detector from the United States to do research in the Federal Republic at DESY.
1,050 scientists, engineers and technicians working with DESY. Their goal: to find out what holds together the world in its innermost depths. Soon, DESY people expect a discovery that might be suspicious of Nobel Prize.
02. industrial archaeology rectangular, smooth and blank - the boat lift of a lock of our days. What a contrast to the lift from an older era of the machine age. No trace of deadpan uniformity which characterises the modern industrial landscape around the world.
In the past, not only churches, palaces and noble houses embellished the image of cities. Also, factories, transport and supply buildings meet high architectural standards.
It has only recognized the value of this important witnesses of the history of the industry in the Federal Republic in recent years.
Meanwhile, disused installations and structures such as the old water tower have the rank of architectural monuments.
Buildings were Not yet so long ago, as for example the old winding towers in the Ruhr area, the foreclosure or demolition. Now are such buildings under monumental protection, that is to say, they are maintained or restored.
Today, the washing of a mine, where earlier the miners washed the dirt from the body after work, is a Tennis Hall. The machine shop of a Bill. It is playful; but this building has fully fulfils its function without compromising on decorative items. Given our days sober purpose architecture examples of industrial architecture from the past should be thoughtful.
03. The German Union Berlin, Congress of the DGB, the German Trade Union Confederation. In the so-called Parliament of the work, the leading officials of 17 unions days every four years. Any of these 17 associations has distinct characteristics, has confidence, influence and power. However all To find together to unanimously under the umbrella of their joint umbrella organization. 1982 found Instead of a change in the leadership of the DGB. Seriously, broadband zym new Chairman was elected by a large majority. The banners on 1 may, the day of work, show: 7.7 million trade union members expect a whole lot from the new man in the face of the difficult economic situation. They To want to defend what they have accomplished in decades struggle: E.g. high wages and salaries, the 40-hour week, the salary in the event of illness, dismissal and an admittedly different level of participation in the operation. A special feature of the German employee representation is your organizing principle. The principle formulated by the DGB is: "E i n operation-a trade union". This means that when a company handles mainly metal, like about this machine factory, all workers and employees of the Industrial Union belong to metal.
Operation break. One of the stewards of the IG talks metal with colleagues. It's Very much concrete problems, rationalization projects and the preservation of jobs. The shop stewards ensures close contact between staff and unions and maintain also the connection with the Works Council.
Here days works councils, elected representatives of workers. You need to be heard in many decisions of the company and have the right to influence. While the Councils fight often fierce fighting with the company lines. On the other hand, they help to defuse many conflicts already on the ground. Therefore, strikes are rare in this country. The history of the Federal Republic is inextricably linked to the trade union movement. This country owes its prosperity and long-lasting social peace workers and their organizations, the trade unions.
The Federal Republic can feel the current crisis of the world economy. There is less to distribute - this complicates trade union work. The comprehensive participation of all sectors of the economy is required as a main goal in the coming years.
04. Mozart is never been here at the residence of Mozart himself. And yet his music at home in this castle, the residence in Würzburg. The city on the main annually invites the Mozart-fest. Symphonies and chamber music concerts are on the program.
The residence is considered to be one of the most important baroque castles in Europe. The powerful staircase is a characteristic creation of architect Balthasar Neumann. With the ceiling fresco, a Magnum Opus of his artistic career was the Italian painter Tiepolo.
Many other excellent painter, architect, sculptor and stucco workers contributed to the success of the Baroque construction in the first half of the 17th century.
The Kaisersaal resembles by the festive decoration as well by the harmony of its proportions. Mozart's music finds a congenial counterpart in this environment. More than 60 years ago, a Würzburg music professor has recognized this. After he had conducted a concert here, the idea for the Mozart Festival was born. 40,000 music lovers will be enchanted at the Mozart Festival every year: by the double pleasure for eyes and ears.
05. Catastrophies have the good, many people plagued by the Streß of work think when they see mothers with children during the day on the road. But many women go a profession after and In addition bear the burden of the budget; that is unfortunately too often forgotten. Once totally shut down. See anything from professional work, many mothers dream about the man and the budget - it. For A few of the over-extended mothers, this dream becomes a reality.
The Müttergenesungswerk - a non-profit organization - helping mothers to a carefree holiday at the sea or in the mountains. Carefree, that is also their infants To find a secure custody.
There are around 130 Müttergenesungsheime in the Federal Republic. They offer a diversified programme of treatments and leisure activities.
28 days a set table. So, a woman has overwritten their experience. Every year 50,000 women in the enjoyment of a mother-recovery Spa come. 50,000 mothers take new courage and return to their families healthier and above all more confident. There are 1 million women it needed would have, for example, once in a dissolved round of talks to himself To find a total so expected. Some woman rediscovered creative abilities, which were completely filled by the daily routine. No wonder. Studies have shown that even women work in the budget three times as much as their men.
The Müttergenesungswerk is financed by different institutions of the Federal Republic; only ten percent are donations of the population. The mothers, so the charity is rightly deserved actually, that considerably more money comes along.
06. Ulrike Meyfarth - a second career you has their own shadow skipped the German Hurdler Ulrike Meyfarth. Until now, no woman in the world jumped higher than they. The 26-year-old Sportstudentin is undisputedly the Nr. 1 in their discipline. But not only the world record was the personality of this time. Ulrike Meyfarth has to overcome many crises. On this summer day in 1982 she preparing to cross, the 2-metre mark a dream border for Hochspringerinnen. It is also struggling with a nearly overwhelming past that started just this stadium in Munich.
The Munich Olympic Stadium exactly 10 years ago. A unknown 16-year old student is the youngest athlete of all time with the then world record height of 1.92 meters. It looks easy, and it was. The outsider Ulrike Meyfarth won was totally at ease.
A dream goal was achieved: she had the gold medal. And what came after? For 9 years of mediocrity. Ulrike Meyfarth, almost forgot, seemed to be also private life badly done. Finally a change of coach, and only after a long wait, she gets a place for a sport study. But she doesn't give up and is In fact in 1982 before a magical boundary. The naive teenager 10 years ago has evolved into a loose, confident young woman. It creates the 2-metre mark and a few weeks later she is even European champion - with a new world record height of 2.02 meters. She believed it to be even guilty, to get out of the deep valley. Today, she says, it is a great feeling, to be passed.