01 40 years marching on airlift Berlin - blockade Besatungssoldaten. Propeller aircraft landing in Tempelhof. Military band plays. C 47 plane rolls US in Hall. Inscription: raisin bombers. Men get off and be welcomed. Starting DC 4 black and white archive: Berlin during the blockade. Approach of the "raisin bombers". Unloading sacks. Issue of school meals. Seaplane lands on Wannsee. Plane crash. Boy gives aircraft pilot. Young woman thanks pilot.
Color: Memorial service in Tempelhof.
(59 m) 02 Island Fehmarn ferry runs and creates. Bus leaves the ship, caravans, cars, motorcycle riders. Drive via Fehmarn and bridge. Country road. Sheep graze. Old tree. Ears of corn. Fishing. Houses. Smokehouse. Smoked eels. Man with binoculars. Heron in mud. Ducks, gulls, fishing boats, evening sky. The train bridge.
(58 m) 03 Berlin: motorcycle time (see D 359/6, your own text) drive motor cyclists. Hand, big is gas. Feet on pedal. Helmet. BMW-motorcycle-in Werke in Berlin. Production images of the Assembly. Water-cooled 4-cylinder engine on the test bench. Motorcyclists ride side by side. Ride with Soziusfahrerin. Flash mirror. Motorcycle rider differentiates helm and Associates long hair. Driving with headlights in the traffic in the evening.
(47 m) 04 flax market in Linn - Burg Linn drummer beats on drum. Music Chapel in historical costume. Flax mastiffs of Grudstoff line. Spiders. The fairground. Visitors. Castle Linn. SOAP presses. Knife sharpening. Man big with child. Children paint on meadow. Men beat sculpture made of stone.
05. track laying machines (51 m) (material of the Deutsche Bundesbahn) warning is blown. Train. Man waving banner. Freight train travels slowly and holds. With track-laying machines, emerging on railways be lifted. Roller compression of gravel. New sleepers are laid. Men screw the threshold.
(51 m) 06. Darmstadt: City of Art Nouveau drinking woman as a fountain statue. Mosaics. Artist colony of Mathildenhöhe architects, painters and artists. Sundial. Pan across the House. Ceiling frescoes. Ornate pillars and grille. Art Nouveau houses. Chair, art objects, glass and furniture.
(62 m) 07 skating pair. Runners go to the ice rink. Group running. Trainer. Jumps. Viewers. The youngest, group of 9-10 year olds synchronous. Pair skating. Singles skater. Audience clapping.
Advertising: Coca Cola - water shooters - Fielmann.
(57 m) 08 US teachers in Schleswig-Holstein of the Mayor of Lübeck welcomes the guest interview: "... thank you for that Lübeck has the pleasure to welcome you here. And I hope that the contacts with Schleswig-Holstein can be deepened I wish you here zunächstmal good and nice conversations. Thank you very much."
The Holsten Gate. Aerial view of Lübeck. Glücksburg Castle. US teachers actuality to Glücksburg Castle. Balloon. Teacher visited German relatives in Kiel. Walk through the town. Baltic Sea. Ride in a motorboat across the Baltic Sea. Dark red sky. Beach.
01 40 years air bridge in West Berlin's Tempelhof Airport: a Luftbrückoweteran once again on the airfield will return, which he has served forty years ago during the Berlin blockade around the clock.
The American C-47 was one of the air fleet of the Western allies overcame the Soviet blockade ring around Berlin. The Berliners called these aircraft, which secured them the survival, "Raisin bombers".
The Soviets had broken all connections from West Berlin to West Germany - except those through the air. The situation of the population seemed hopeless. How should one provide an industrial town through the air with 2.5 million inhabitants?
The United States and the United Kingdom took this unprecedented challenge and launched the biggest air carrier of in history, the "air bridge". Coal for heating and power generation and par excellence all need people to life, was about the airlift to Berlin managed to up to 10,000 tons per day. The population was secured.
The planes landed at two minute intervals day and night on dry and wet runway. It was a dangerous business. 79 of Besatszungsmitglieder got life.
After a year, the Soviet Union gave up their Bockade. That the Berlin population and the Western allies together had resisted the pressure, created a new sense of community: from the victorious powers protective powers had become - an experience that the population and the Western allies celebrate together since then once per year.
02. Fehmarn go ships, ships coming. Summer time is time. It feels especially the island of Fehmarn, ENDP calculate the ferries on the "Vogelfluglinie", the main North-South route from Scandinavia to Central Europe. 4 million people from the Nordic countries cross the small island annually. Fehmarn is usually nothing more than a welcome Fährponton, which significantly shortens the travel time for the Scandinavians. After 10 minutes of brisk ride, leaving the island on the other side. It happened to the Fehmarn-bridge, embarks ahead of one.
Something escapes the hurried traveler. Since the Federal Republic of Germany in the Baltic Sea Island of Fehmarn is a beautiful island. Its good climate makes them become a popular holiday destination for many. Nowhere else on the German coast, there is so much sunshine. The good soil made wealthy farmers in 42 villages.
The people of Fehmarn know to live. The smoking chambers provide the Räucherfische so popular in all Baltic Sea countries on Fehmarn especially smoked eel, a Delicatessen, is not one to be missed.
But the best is and remains the natural beauty of the island. Protected nature park undüberwachte bird sanctuaries were established to get this beauty in the long term.
03. motorcycle time in West Berlin in the summer: If there are only a few. The Easy Rider can play their horsepower only within limits. However, Berlin has been as it were Germany's motorcycle capital since a few years ago the Bavarian Motor works, referred to as BMW, invested in Berlin, built a modern bicycle factory and created 1,800 jobs. Precision technology at the highest level. 30,000 machines roll here each year by the band.
Strongest piece in the lineup: the water-cooled four-cylinder engine, a floor with a 90 HP, fast enough, perfectly enough to secure a top spot at any time and anywhere in the world.
But in Berlin to build not only motorcycles, driving them too. The bike has many friends especially with the younger generation gefungen and expression of own life a sense.
04. For centuries, flax market in Linn of flax, which is sung here was as it were the lifeblood of this small town at the foot of the Castle Linn at Krefeld in the Rhineland. Flax is the raw material for linen.
It was only the cheaper cotton, then the man-made fibers. Linen was "out" and too expensive. The flax Center lost its importance.
The lame citizens made a virtue out of necessity and transformed the market in a big Festival on the 500 craftsmen of old shotgun and grain will perform their traditional craftsmanship. Linn is today the largest artisan market of in Germany. Thus, Linn has an attraction that draws 200,000 visitors. Who wants to expand his knowledge, such as this and that not industrially, but technically can be produced, for which the market is a treasure trove.
Children and young families especially like to visit the market. You don't get as much casual Visual instruction else in years. So the ancient Linner flax market was fortunately preserved, albeit in a different form and as market economics and artisans with different content.
05. track construction machines rail and track equipment are exposed heaviest loads. You need to be renewed from time to time. But then, no trains can drive more. A new track-laying machines will help the Deutsche Bundesbahn now perform the necessary repairs without excessive impairment of schedules in the shortest time.
The "PM 200" does everything automatically. The 300-ton giant front rips off the old Rails and sleepers and eats into the old material in itself, along with gravel and base.
What has front pulled them down and stowed away, they rear brand new rebuilt - here the new thresholds.
320 meters range can renew the "PM 200' on the day. The Deutsche Bundesbahn can perform more thoroughly and more economical the necessary repairs in this way to its rail network than ever before - to the delight of travellers but also much faster.
06. Darmstadt - city of Art Nouveau decorative sensuality as an expression of striving for increased enjoyment of life: Art Nouveau. Around the turn of the century, the artistic elite has created its own Center - also in Germany. The small residence of Darmstadt became the "city of Art Nouveau", after the last Grand Duke of Hesse young people realize their dreams of a new life style.
The architects, painters and artists - 32 is the oldest at the time - create the frame itself on the Mathildenhöhe to live and work. The Grand Duke ensures material independence. In this freedom result from 1900 sculptures, furniture, lamps, jewelry, up to the coffee spoon – aesthetic and yet very different created with an emphasis on soft lines and surprise new ornamentation.
The architect Olbrich creates, as he says, "the houses of the artists is a peaceful place, which after the day's diligent work by the Temple of diligence is descended, to swap the artist with the people."
The short Jugenstilepoche has shaped the Hesse Darmstadt. Therefore, the effects of war on the Mathildenhöhe were eliminated with great dedication and effort. Currently, it reconstructs the oldest House of the artist colony. Wants to make available the unique objects of the public so far in custody accounts - and save at the beginning of our century from oblivion so those creative renewal attempts.
07. skating figure skating during the German summer? The image is deceptive. These two dance on skates. Dodging who loves the art of sliding movements on the hard surface of the ice so much, that he may refrain from in the summer not on roller skates. The popular roller skate today has a long tradition. Roller skates are so for 70 years it almost 200 years and sports competitions. Once per year, 100 boys and girls from the whole Federal Republic meet to find the best out of their circle.
Rolling art is considerably more difficult than figure skating. The roles and the firm soil give more resistance than sharp blades on the ice. The high starting speed for double and triple jumps is not skating.
Here the youngest, 9-10 years old. In synchronous, they collect their first competition experience, yet slightly awkward.
It becomes clear only when the master runners roll and figure skating are as closely related. By the way, the rules are the same in both sports.
There's also World Championships since 1950. The United States and Germany are leaders in the artistic roller skating. The skating has never can gain the popularity and audience appeal of figure skating, but it was summer training and springboard to fame for many stars on the ice.